problems with php5-fpm

Hi

I am experimenting with nginx and php5-fpm to replace an apache2/libapache2-mod-php configuration. And I am getting something strange happening.

I have both a simple php web site that just consists of php pages (and other assets) and static content.

I also have a wordpress configuration.

What I am finding after an idle period (do not actually know how long it has to be, but I am leaving the web site and coming back after a couple of hours of doing something else) is that

The static web site works,
the wordpress web site doesn't - because it appears that php5-fpm is returning a 500

php5-fpm still appears to be running with the right number of processes.

I can get the wordpress site to work if I restart php5-fpm.

The question is why. The main difference that wordpress site has is that it uses a mysql database. But I have no idea why that might cause failures after an idle period.

Anyone any other ideas?

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk