Re: iceweasel bookmarks gone

Curt, 30.04.2014:
> On 2014-04-29, Gary Roach <gary719_list1@verizon.net> wrote:
> >
> > Somewhere along the line all of my iceweasel bookmarks disappeared. The
> > backup copy is still in the system but doesn't appear to contain any of
> > my old bookmarks. Would the old bookarks be stored someplace other than
> > .mozilla/firefox/hxwu63mv.default/bookmarkbackups#? Or am I just out of
> > luck.

What do you mean by "backup copy"?  Is that a copy of the whole
.mozilla/firefox/hxwu63mv.default directory?  Do you have a
places.sqlite file in it?  A couple of years ago when I was looking into
backing up bookmarks I think I saw that they're in the places.sqlite
file, not in bookmarks.html.

> So, when in the browser itself, you go to Bookmarks/Show All
> Bookmarks/Import and Backup/Restore ...
>
> there is nothing to restore from (no daily backups)?

The json files in the bookmarkbackups directory should also contain
backups.  My directory has daily backups going back 10 days, and I don't
recall changing anything, so it's probably the default.  This might be
slightly staler than the places.sqlite file, but not by more than a day.
However, I think the places.sqlite file also contains browsing history
(and maybe other stuff), in addition to bookmarks.