Re: Upgrade debacle........

----- Original Message -----
From: Jochen Spieker <ml@well-adjusted.de>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Sent: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 13:27:20 +1000 (EST)
Subject: Re: Upgrade debacle........

Charlie:

> Using Debian testing 3.12-1-amd64
>
> Updated and upgraded this morning was told to run this:
>
> gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
>
> It didn't do anything of course and when I rebooted, found the system is severely broken.
>
> I assume I have to reinstall, that seems to be suggested on a few ubuntu posts on the web?

I don't know what your problem is and it appears you aren't interested
to know either. If this is the case, go ahead and reinstall. If you
actually want to know what happened and how you can prevent it in the
future, you should start by describing what your actual problem is.
Maybe we can help.

J.

Actually my problem is:

1. After the upgrade when I run the command that was instructed by update with apt-get:

# gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache

2. I get this:

-su: gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders: command not found

3. After reboot, I'm on solar power so cannot leave the lappy running even in hibernation, my icons vanish, many red crosses, and some of the applications like claws mail don't work and all manner of things are haywire.

4. I have these directories and the file on my machine:

usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache

5. But the loaders cache is 0 empty?

6. So I have looked for a man page about gdk [do I actually need gdk?] Obviously the way my system is set up now I do. But can I set it up without using gdk and get a working system back?

7. Or do I have to do as suggested in ubuntu forums, that I should resinstall as they suggest?

8. Otherwise, I have no idea what I should place into my loaders.cache file? Some sort of code I assume? But why did the upgrader not place it there if that's the case?

9. I also can't find how to install anything that uses this command: gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders apparently gdk is not a package?

Thanks for your reply, but it doesn't mention if I should reinstall or what? But it is otherwise informative.

Be well,
Charlie