Re: jigdo various questions ( --noask does not work + how to use "/var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb" as source )

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 04:27:20PM +0200, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am trying to update some iso images ( I have downloaded ISOs last
> week, but it seems that there were an update since, my images are in
> 7.4 and last debian stable is 7.5 ) through jigdo, and wanted to
> play a little with its scriptable possibilities, since it seems that
> there is a --noask option to avoid asking questions to user.
>
> But when I am doing this:
> $i=2;jigdo-lite "http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.5.0/amd64/jigdo-dvd/debian-7.5.0-amd64-DVD-$i.jigdo";
> --scan "debian-7.4.0-amd64-$i.iso" --noask
>
> jigdo still asks me questions, so I can not send it through a for
> loop and a '&'.
>

> Also, since jigdo is able to find files from a distant source, I was
> wondering if it is or not possible to retrieve those files from a
> local directory?
> For example, imagine you have the whole collection of debian's DVDs
> images ( so, 10 DVDs ) from last stable version ( 7.4.0 ) that you
> were often upgrading. The packages are definitely in your
> /var/cache/apt/archive, so it would be interesting to not download
> them again ( which is, AFAIK the only behavior of jigdo-lite
> currently ).
> So, am I missing some option, or is this feature simply not
> implemented? If not implemented, is there is a reason, or simply
> nobody had the idea/time to do it?

The URI needs to be the last element of the command. You will find most
of the required files if you mount the iso and pass the mount point with
--scan, passing the iso file finds 0 files. Using --scan causes jigdo to
not ask for further file locations, and only the last instance of --scan
is used. My tests show a better hit rate using the mounted iso than
using the cache. Ideally there would be some way to pass multiple file
locations on the command line so the iso mount point and the cache could
both be checked. Hmm, I think I feel a wishlist bug report coming along.

Cheers,
Tom

--
miracle:  an extremely outstanding or unusual event, thing, or accomplishment.
		-- Webster's Dictionary