Re: upgrade hanging

On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 11:24:46 -0700 (PDT)
JoeRiel <joer@san.rr.com> wrote:

> I use debian stable, with xfce.  Received a security upgrade notice
> this morning, a rather large one.  The upgrade stalled, the last
> indication is Setting up libgl1-nvidia-glx:amd64 (304.117-1) ...
>
> I killed the upgrade notification manager.  How do I finish the
> upgrade?

My approach would be to start gently, and escalate as necessary. If you
haven't already, don't reboot, the message you quote might mean you
could have no display.

Do it from the command line (as root or with sudo):

aptitude update
aptitude safe-upgrade

which should recognise any issues and hopefully sort them out. If not,
it gets messy, and you should post any error messages you get. If all
goes well, you will need to reboot, as there is a new kernel involved.

As a general rule, stable should be upgraded with the aptitude lines
above (or the apt-get equivalents), as you can see clearly what is
going on, and there should never be an upgrade problem with stable. I
tend to ignore any higher-level software 'managers'.

--
Joe