Re: UEFI install

Corey wrote:

>I got a new laptop without a CD/DVD drive and am trying to install off a
>USB image and either dual boot my pre-installed windows 8.1 or just wipe
>and use strictly Debian.  I get all the way to the point of installing
>GRUB and it fails.  I've read that this may have something to do with
>the disk being GPT instead of MBR?  How do I get a dual boot Windows 8.1
>and Debian Wheezy install?  Or at the least have Debian successfully
>installed (although I'm afraid of wiping the HDD and losing the ability
>to revert back to Windows)

Hi,

Which version of Debian did you try to install? What eactly happened
when grub installation failed?

Debian Wheezy (7.x) and onwards for amd64 should install via UEFI and
co-exist happily with Windows 8 on a GPT system, but there may be bugs
of course. If you can give us some more information that should help.

Support the Campaign for Audiovisual Free Expression: http://www.eff.org/cafe/