Re: Securing apache

Jochen Spieker <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
> Sven Hartge:
>> Jochen Spieker <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:

>>> I didn't check, but I would be surprised if it was possible to only
>>> install Apache 2.4 from testing without upgrading half of your
>>> system.  What you need is a backport -- Apache 2.4 compiled against
>>> the library versions available in wheezy. Currently, there is no
>>> official backport.
>>
>> Since to backport apache2.4 you need to backport (or at lease
>> recompile) _everything_ touching apache, including _any_ package
>> providing config-snippets (since some of the syntax of the
>> apache-configuration changed), I doubt there will ever be a backport
>> of apache2.4 to Wheezy.

> Makes sense. I hope they find a nice upgrade path for all involved
> packages. The transition to Apache 2.4 is probably going to be painful
> for years to come.

Right now packages with DDs who care about easy backporting carry code
like this in their config snippets (example from roundcube):

 <IfVersion >= 2.3>
   Require all granted
 </IfVersion>
 <IfVersion < 2.3>
   Order allow,deny
   Allow from all
 </IfVersion>

You can also enable a compatibility module for apache, but this practice
is frowned upon, since it can cause problems if you combine both (new
and old) methods of granting or denying access.

Grüße,
Sven.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.