Re: Sharing Files and Folders over LAN and accessing them from Windows PC

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 19:17:34 +0600
Muntasim Ul Haque <tranjeeshan@inventati.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> I searched couple of blogs and other sites and followed their
> instructions to install and configure Samba for Debian. The best I
> could do is to share files but they weren't copyable. So I want a
> procedure that would work. For that I'm describing here my wish lists:
>
>   * I want to share files and folders from Debian that would be
>     accessible from any Windows PC (cause I'm the only one using or
>     trying to use Debian here) over LAN.
>   * Files and folders should be accessible without any fuss; I mean
> user can access them without any username and password.
>   * Uses should be able to copy the files and folders easily and
> without any password but they shouldn't have the power to delete them.
>
> These are more or less what I want with sharing files and folders.
> Now how can I do that? Could anyone please describe the ways and
> provide the instructions and perhaps any working links?

Not many people work this openly. I have an old smb.conf for when I was
initially setting up samba years ago, completely open because if you
start out with high security in place you'll never get it working.

Presumably you can change the shares' read-only from No to Yes to avoid
deletions. Typically on a Debian system, the share and file ownerships
should be nobody:nogroup. I don't use the [homes].

These settings below are the relevant ones, I think, I haven't shown
the whole of the file. *Don't* use these settings anywhere other than
your private network. If you match the workgroup and the Windows
clients' workgroup setting, I think this should Just Work, I'm
reasonably sure this was saved from a working system. But it was a
while ago...

Oh, and *don't* do this unchanged in a Windows domain, it will play
havoc with Windows browser elections. You'll need to tweak the network
browsing to play nicely with a Domain Controller, and I'm not sure how.
These settings were for a Linux server which I expressly wanted to be
the master browser for any Windows machines present, and to win any
possible browser election. Windows file sharing looks nice and simple
when it works, but there's a whole can of worms under the surface, to
mix a few metaphors.

[global]
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   server string = %h server
   wins support = yes
   dns proxy = no
   interfaces = 127.0.0.0/8, 192.168.1.0/24
   bind interfaces only = yes
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 1000
   syslog = 0

####### Authentication #######

# "security = user" is always a good idea. This will require a Unix
account
# in this server for every user accessing the server. See
# /usr/share/doc/samba-doc/htmldocs/Samba3-HOWTO/ServerType.html
# in the samba-doc package for details.
#   security = user
    security = share
.
.
	lanman auth = Yes
	client lanman auth = Yes
	printcap name = cups
	os level = 65
	preferred master = Yes
	local master = Yes
	invalid users = root
	hosts allow = 192.168.99.0/24
.
.
   domain master = Yes
.
.
#======================= Share Definitions =======================

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
    create mask = 0775
    directory mask = 0775
   browseable = no

# By default, the home directories are exported read-only. Change the
# next parameter to 'no' if you want to be able to write to them.
   read only = yes
.
.

[Joe]