Re: Copying complete SET of installation DVDs to a USB stick

Chris Bannister wrote:
On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 09:01:05AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
I will be installing Debian at locations which DO NOT have internet.
Instead of juggling a stack of DVDs, I want everything on a USB stick.
I am using Debian 6.0.5 as test case - it's what I have available.
There was no problem copying the first DVD to the beginning of the USB stick
with dd.
I did a preliminary test by booting to the USB stick and the install program
apparently worked OK.

I rebooted to an operable system and created a large partition on the
remainder of the flash drive. I then attempted to copy DVDs to the flash
drive using first
     cp -r -l /media/cdrom0 /media/mydrive/disk1
I aborted when started receiving error messages of failure with link files.
I then tried
     cp -r -l /media/cdrom0 /media/mydrive/disk1
I aborted that also reviving similar error messages.

How should I be doing this?

man cp

IOW you are probably missing an option, perhaps the -a, or even the -H?

This is only a suggestion, I'd play around with them and see which one
gives the desired behaviour.

I had read both the manpage and textinfo for cp.
That doesn't mean I understood what I read.
Your references to "-a" and "-H" clued me in to how I misread description of "-l".

I suspect that Rick's suggestion to investigate loop mounting an iso image is a better match for my ill-defined mental image of what I'm trying to do.

Thank you.