Copying complete SET of installation DVDs to a USB stick

I will be installing Debian at locations which DO NOT have internet.
Instead of juggling a stack of DVDs, I want everything on a USB stick.
I am using Debian 6.0.5 as test case - it's what I have available.
There was no problem copying the first DVD to the beginning of the USB stick with dd. I did a preliminary test by booting to the USB stick and the install program apparently worked OK.

I rebooted to an operable system and created a large partition on the remainder of the flash drive. I then attempted to copy DVDs to the flash drive using first
    cp -r -l /media/cdrom0 /media/mydrive/disk1
I aborted when started receiving error messages of failure with link files.
I then tried
    cp -r -l /media/cdrom0 /media/mydrive/disk1
I aborted that also reviving similar error messages.

How should I be doing this?