Re: S-Video on ThinkPad T42 with Debian Jessie - can't get above 800x600

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 1:39 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 12:50 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've just converted a laptop from Windows XP to Debian Jessie, with
>> the expectation that I'd be able to do everything at least as well as
>> before. That's been mostly true, but I'm stuck on a problem with the
>> S-Video output: whatever I do, the TV shows only 800x600.
>
> In the interests of experimentation, I live-booted AntiX on that same
> hardware. The result is exactly the same; xrandr says the S-video
> output is in its only mode of 800x600 60Hz, and telling it to go
> 1024x768 just results in the top left 800x600 being visible.

Further experimentation has revealed a rather interesting result. It
seems that Windows was claiming that it was driving the S-video at
1024x768, but was actually stretching it down to 800x600. Short of
reinstalling Windows (which I will not do!), I have no way to prove
this, but anecdotal evidence is that text is a bit more readable now.
So it's looking like 800x600 is all we really get anyway. Everything's
working other than that, so I'm basically going to consider the matter
closed, unless anyone has fancy ideas to try.

ChrisA