Re: apt-get doesn't upgrade, but synaptic does

On Thu, 10 Apr 2014, Frank McCormick wrote:

> On 10/04/14 11:50 AM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Apr 2014, Frank McCormick wrote:
> >
> >> Had a strange problem this morning for the second time recently:
> >>

> >> root@frank-debian:/home/frank# apt-get upgrade
> >> Reading package lists... Done
> >> Building dependency tree
> >> Reading state information... Done
> >> Calculating upgrade... Done
> >> The following package was automatically installed and is no longer
> >> required: python-gtksourceview2
> >> Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove it.
> >> The following packages have been kept back:
> >>     eom-common mate-panel mate-panel-common
> >> The following packages will be upgraded:
> >>     base-passwd cups cups-bsd cups-client cups-common
> >> cups-core-drivers cups-daemon
> >>     cups-ppdc cups-server-common dnsmasq-base geoip-database
> >> libcups2 libcupscgi1
> >>     libcupsimage2 libcupsmime1 libcupsppdc1 man-db pluma
> >> pluma-common ruby 20 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and
> >> 3 not upgraded. Need to get 7,645 kB of archives.
> >> After this operation, 4,731 kB disk space will be freed.
> >> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
> >>
> >> Apt-get then did what it said it would upgrading everything except
> >> mate-panel, mate-panel-commong and eom
> >
> > This is the proper behavior for "upgrade."  To "upgrade" the
> > held-back files use "dist-upgrade" instead. The apt-get man explains
> > the difference between the two, and why it is done that way.

>     As I told another poster here, dist-upgrade wanted to remove half
> of Mate.

Dist-upgrade installs the NEWER version of a file(s) and its
dependencies, and removes the OLD version.  That is, v1.0 to v2.0.
Upgrade does v1.0 to v1.1 as well a security and bug fixes.  Check the
versions of what was going to be installed against what was initially
installed. Also, check the held-back files against what
dist-upgrade would have installed.  Any match up namewise?

I admit apt-get and aptitude can be a pain to use sometimes.  That's
why someone created Synaptic. ;-)

> Synaptic was the only one that offered to replace the old
> mate-applets file with the new one, Neither apt-get, nor aptitude in
> any of my attempts mdentioned anything about the applets file.

Did you try "upgrading" those old mate-applets specifically by name?
What were the version numbers of the old and new applets?  If they
differed by major version numbers, upgrade won't upgrade them.  That's
not what it does.