Re: Encryption of a a thumb drive

On Sat, 2014-04-05 at 16:13 +0000, Curt wrote:
> On 2014-04-05, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Sat 05 Apr 2014 at 09:39:09 -0400, john s. wrote:
> >
> >> I have encrypted a thumb drive using cryptsetup and luks. The drive is used for
> >> storing passwords. Cryptsetup requires that the drive be formatted ext2, ext3
> >> or ext4.
> >>
> >> My problem is that I cannot use the drive on a windows machine (belonging to my
> >> wife). Is there an alternative way to encrypt the drive?
> >
> > This answers a question you didn't ask:
> >
> >    http://superuser.com/questions/600760/could-disk-encrypted-with-cryptsetup-on-linux-be-read-on-windows
> >
> Yeah, he asked the wrong question (3 times, and will be shot at dawn by
> Lisi).
>
> But it's good to know that there is an ext2/ext3 driver for Windows.
>
> http://www.ext2fsd.com/
>
> However, I note that the latest version dates back to July, 2011.
> Windows 8 is out, apparently (of the question, I mean, at least for the
> moment).

Besides cygwin + gpg, haven't we seen a recent thread where someone said
that keepassx gives you portability, encryption, ease of use and the
keys to hell?

Why would someone encrypt an entire disk just to store passwords?

"In Soviet Russia you don't encrypt text, text decrypts you!"

--
André N. Batista
GNUPG/PGP KEY: 6722CF80