Re: How to Switch Between Gnome and KDE

On Sat, 5 Apr 2014 09:05:36 -0700 (PDT)
ray <ray@aarden.us> wrote:

> I have been running Gnome on Debian 7.4.  I want to try KDE so I
> installed it.  I can see new apps under Applications so it looks like
> it may have worked.
>
> But I don't know who to actual switch from one to the other.  Is
> there a GUI app that I can click to switch between them?  Or some
> shell process?
>
> Searching, I have found many articles on how to install the package
> but none on how to actually switch between them.  I did find an
> article to edit the default desktop manager but it was in the etc/x11
> folder which I don't have.

The display manager at login is the place. There are several, I'm using
kdm even though I don't have a full KDE installation, it suits me.

Look in /etc/X11/default-display-manager to see which is used, it will
probably be the DM of the last environment you installed. Probably the
cleanest way to change this is 'dpkg-reconfigure <kdm, gdm3 or other>'.
You should get a choice from the DMs installed. xdm should always be
there, but it's a bit primitive for my taste, lightdm is another.
Generally whenever you install a DM you are given this choice.

At logon, you can choose between any desktop environments and window
managers you have installed, and usually there is also a 'last one
used' entry.

--
Joe