Re: Unable to start nm-applet

Le 02.04.2014 17:11, Anubhav Yadav a écrit :
I just took a moment to read your 2nd initial post. The errors you
get when starting it as root are probably because the default
configuration is to not accept ( via policy kit I guess ) using this
applet as root. VLC have the same kind of restrictions.

The question is, why when you start it a

Humpf... sorry for the truncated mail... I just hit the tab key just before
space, and it send the mail...

The same thing happened to me and hence I had to send the second
mail. I just hope that other guys are getting to read the second mail.

so: The question is, why when you start it as a normal user? The package depends on lot of things ( well...gnome's bloatwares often does... ) , if
one of those is not started correctly, it might cause the error.
We know that it's not dbus, but IIRC, gconf, keyring, notify, and other
stuff like that are runnable softwares. Are they started correctly?

I will just run ps aux | grep "command" to see if they are started
correctly or
not. Is there is any other better way to see if they are started correctly or
not.

I usually use "$ps -A|grep foobar" and have no idea about what does "$ps aux", except that, according to the man:

Note that "ps -aux" is distinct from "ps aux". The POSIX and UNIX standards require that "ps -aux" print all processes owned by a user named "x", as well as printing all processes that would be selected by the -a option. If the user named "x" does not exist, this ps may interpret the command as "ps aux" instead and print a warning. This behavior is intended to aid in transitioning old scripts and habits. **It is fragile,
subject to change, and thus should not be relied upon.**

Anyway, it simply shows if they are started, so probably not good. There is the top command, too, which may help you. Otherwise, since they are, probably, daemons, you can use the command "$/usr/sbin/service --status-all".

Another alternative ( quite useful for gdb ), would be to use "$pidof foobar", but I do not know if it can find stuff the owner does not own ( so, you could only see root pids if you are logged as root, AFAIK ).

You can also look at dmesg or their logs.

neo1691@Innovator:~$ ps aux | grep gconf
neo1691   5202  0.0  0.0  53144  2516 ?        S    20:26   0:00
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gconf/gconfd-2

neo1691@Innovator:~$ ps aux | grep keyring
neo1691   6255  0.0  0.0  15296  1036 pts/1    S+   20:38   0:00 grep
--color=auto keyring
so keyring is not there, I remember I stopped the keyring service
because it was bringing up
the gnome-keyring warning whenever I used to run git commands.

Strange that it interacts with git... anyway, could you try to run it for testing purpose?

neo1691@Innovator:~$ ps aux | grep notify
root        33  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    20:19   0:00
[fsnotify_mark]
neo1691   6323  0.0  0.0  15300  1032 pts/1    S+   20:39   0:00 grep
--color=auto notify