Re: Not receiving list mail

On 20140402_202040, Stephen Allen wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 02:27:05PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:

> > > ---end quoted text---
> > >
> > > Wonder if the folks having trouble have added their email to the Debian
> > > Email Whitelist? https://lists.debian.org/whitelist/
> >
> > This is intended for use by people who don't want to subscribe of a
> > real debian list e.g. this one because they don't want all this
> > chatter cluttering up the inbox. But still they want to ask a
> > question and have it posted without jumping thru hoops. It is not
> > at all related to people who have subscribed, or believe they have
> > subscribed, IMHO.
>
> That wasn't my understanding when it was recommended to me some time
> back.

Read the description at Debian.org. I don't get my ideas about why it
is there from hearsay. I didn't know about it until you mentioned it.
I looked for it today and report what I found.

> Seriously, you would expect people that don't post regularly to
> subscribe to a whitelist - Dream on. How would they even know it exists?

I don't have any expectation or knowledge about how it is actually
used.  I do think that somebody more central to the Debian community
than I, did have the expectation that is stated on the web site. I
remember when software market gurus believed that open or free
software was a crazy idea that never would be useful. Maybe it is
still not useful for some people, but I don't think that view is held
by many of the people who frequent this list. Part of Debian is an
avowed goal of Changing the World. Straightforward statements of this
can also be found on Debian.org

IMHO, you are mistaken in your assessment of the internal workings
of Debian, and it colors the advice that you give.

My paraphrase of what is said was only for the purpose of informing
of what I had found. I hope you and others will find it, read it,
and try to understand where it fits in the Debian scheme of things.

Peace,
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net