Re: how to change default pager for tab completions from 'more' to 'less'

On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 01:34:54PM -0700, tom arnall wrote:

> if i use tab completion, and there are a lot of possibilities, 'more'
> is used as the default pager to show the list. I want to see the list
> with the 'less' pager.

There are a few ways to achieve your goal, depending on exactly what
your goal is. As far as I'm aware 'less' has a higher priority than
'more' in the alternatives system, so...

Step 0: Confirm that less is installed.

From here, it depends if you want to make this change just for yourself
or system-wide.

If you want to make this change local to your account you can set
$PAGER to be $(which less) in your login scripts.

If you want the change to be system-wide then running
'update-alternatives --config pager' as root will set $PAGER to be
whatever you select there wherever it isn't otherwise over-ridden.

Cheers,
Tom

--
Kilroe hic erat!