no eth0 connection

I seem to remember this happening after an update but I'm not positive.
It did work before. My wireless connection continues to work.

Looked at the usual suspects, /etc/ network/interfaces, /etc/resolv.conf,
etc but everything looked the same as before as close as I remember.

Searching on the subject line turns up a lot of hits but nothing I tried
produced a connection.

Didn't see anything applicable in dmesg but I may have missed it.

ifup eth0 gives "Ignoring unknown interface eth0=eth0

Running Debian 7.4 on a Lenovo t420 w/ 4G RAM and an Intel i3.

Being pretty ignorant about networking, I'm at a loss as to where to
begin trouble shooting. Any pointers appreciated.

--
Bob Holtzman
Your mail is being read by tight lipped