Re: Backup's to DVD

On 16/03/14 05:54 PM, Mr Queue wrote:
Anyone doing anything interesting to backup data to DVD's?

https://packages.debian.org/sid/dkopp

^^ Looks interesting and overall it's a pretty simple task. Suppose
I could even use tar and split but just curious what others may be doing
currently.

FWIW, I'm mostly concerned with cloning my current backups of family
photos to different media for peace of mind. I already have a pair
of backup servers in different physical locations but want to add some
DVD's into the mix. Those are hard to rm. ;)

I've been using BD-RE for years to make backups and BD-R for archives. It works reasonably well providing that you're not backing up more than 25G. BD-REs do develop problems over time so you need to replace them when they wear out.

I thought that they were supposed to have defect-tracking like HDs but it doesn't seem to work. When a disc develops a bad sector, it still seems to get written to. If you rm the file and cp it back, the same place shows up as bad when you cmp the original and backup of the file. I highly recommend doing the cmp after a backup because I have seen a lot of bad copies.

I use a retry loop to ensure that the backup matches the original. However, because the bad sector doesn't seem to get marked, you need to have enough free space on the BD-RE to make a second copy of the largest file, again limiting the amount you can back up.