RE: Backup's to DVD

Hello Andre,

>>> That's good. DVDs IMHO are useless as serious backup medias.
>>
>> Because?
>>

> for example lifetime of the media itself, problems to read on different kind of dvd drives and some other kind of Problems
>
> there are so many reasons why enterprise companys never use dvd's as storage medium for their data

Do not confuse backup witch "archive copy". I know most people do not make that difference but when people start talking about lifetime of the backup medium it is part of the discussion.

> however it depends how long you try to have this backup available and if you want to be sure you have a working backup

Normally backups are made to recover from a disaster which is mean one will usually want to use a "recent copy" of the data. Sometimes a somewhat older copy is needed.
One we start talking about archive data were we need to look at data that is years old and may no longer be on the "current" storage medium then indeed the lifetime of the "backup medium" does become part of the discussion.

For me backup to DVD is 1) to slow and b) the medium is not large enough. I just want to dump "all my data" onto the backup. So I have 2 USB connected disks of which 1 is allways offsite.

Bonno Bloksma