Re: initscripts breaks ifupdown

* Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> [140316 13:12]:
> On Du, 16 mar 14, 10:16:26, John Magolske wrote:
> > For several weeks now when I do `aptitude dist-upgrade` there is:
> >
> >     The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> >      initscripts : Breaks: ifupdown (< 0.7.46) but 0.7.44 is installed.
> >      [...]
> >     The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
> >
> >           Remove the following packages:
> >           [...]
> >     5)      ifupdown
> >

> aptitude's first proposed solution is not always optimal. Try a few
> more, you should get one that proposes upgrading ifupdown. Otherwise
> please post the output of 'apt-cache policy'

The issue was that ifupdown was pinned to 0.7.44 :

    % apt-cache policy
    Package files:
     100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
         release a=now
     500 http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable/main i386 Packages
         release v=1.0,o=Google, Inc.,a=stable,n=stable,l=Google,c=main
         origin dl.google.com
     200 http://www.deb-multimedia.org/ sid/non-free i386 Packages
         release v=7.0,o=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,a=unstable,n=sid,l=Unofficial
         Multimedia Packages,c=non-free origin www.deb-multimedia.org
     200 http://www.deb-multimedia.org/ sid/main i386 Packages
         release v=7.0,o=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,a=unstable,n=sid,l=Unofficial
         Multimedia Packages,c=main origin www.deb-multimedia.org
     500 http://cdn.debian.net/debian/ sid/non-free Translation-en
     500 http://cdn.debian.net/debian/ sid/main Translation-en
     500 http://cdn.debian.net/debian/ sid/contrib Translation-en
     500 http://cdn.debian.net/debian/ sid/non-free i386 Packages
         release o=Debian,a=unstable,n=sid,l=Debian,c=non-free
         origin cdn.debian.net
     500 http://cdn.debian.net/debian/ sid/contrib i386 Packages
         release o=Debian,a=unstable,n=sid,l=Debian,c=contrib
         origin cdn.debian.net
     500 http://cdn.debian.net/debian/ sid/main i386 Packages
         release o=Debian,a=unstable,n=sid,l=Debian,c=main
         origin cdn.debian.net
    Pinned packages:
         ifupdown -> 0.7.44

Taking a look in /etc/apt/preferences I saw this:

    Explanation: Pinned by apt-listbugs at Sat Nov 09 17:32:44 -0800 2013
    Explanation:   #727073: ifupdown: current version somehow brings the ifaces up too late
    Package: ifupdown
    Pin: version 0.7.44
    Pin-Priority: 1000

Deleting that passage from /etc/apt/preferences and doing
`aptitude install ifupdown` brought ifupdown up to 0.7.47.2

I had a vague memory of pinning something / allowing something to be
pinned a while back, but didn't have anything in my notes about it.
Thanks for the clue! Will remember `apt-cache policy` for sure now.

Regards,

John

--
John Magolske