Re: CUPS Zebra EPL2 driver through Iceweasel or Evince

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 10:53 AM, Mark Copper <mlcopper@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> What might explain this behavior?  A Zebra label printer (GX430t) is
> configured through CUPS and it is desired to print a PDF file on it.
> The PDF file was created with the Perl module PDF::API2.
>
> The file prints fine from the command line:
>    $lpr -P Zebra_Technologies_ZTC_GX430t file.pdf
> and it prints fine from within gv.
>
> But it does not print from within Evince or, more importantly for our
> purposes, from the embedded Iceweasel pdf viewer.   CUPS logs include
> the error messages:
>    (/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertolabel) stopped with status 1.
> and
>    Job stopped due to filter errors; please consult the error_log file
> for details.
>
> It's probability 0 that someone else has had this exact problem.  But
> I'm wondering if anyone might have some ideas on an approach.  Maybe
> something can be changed in the PDF generation?  Maybe something can
> be changed in the Iceweasel settings?

Before I let this go, let me add some data and a word of explanation
why I posted here.

Printing file.pdf from the Firefox viewer (on a Ubuntu box) fails just
as it did with Iceweasel.  No surprise there I suppose.

Chromium doesn't offer an embedded viewer and my system default pdf
viewer is Xpdf.  Printing from Xpdf fails, but in a different filter.

There are two different offers for printing from the Chrome browser on
Debian.  The "native" print option works but is useless to me in that
it does not properly size the page.  Choosing "system print" succeeds.

So I have 2 different ways to go at present: from Iceweasel, download
to gv and print from there and from Chrome viewer printing with system
print.

This seemed like an appropriate forum for this curiosity since it
could as well be a problem with the pdf generation or the pdf viewer
as with the CUPS filters.  It's a matter of getting independent
programs to play nice together (not to mention the many levels of
processing within CUPS), I guess.

Thanks.

Mark