Re: When fogetting assigned login name rather than password

On Sat, 2014-03-15 at 23:08 +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 15/03/14 22:58, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> >> 1++
> >
> > Tom is smarter than we are, it's likely that his guess is correct. The
> > OP confused the term for
> >
> > no root account, but the first user has got sudo admin super cow powers,
> > with a pure and clean enabled root account.
> >

> No root account?  (Is that a joke?)
>
> I'm always learning and I'm keen to know how that is achieved - it
> sounds very unlikely....
>
> Would the rescue console still work?
>
> I suspect you mean "no root login to the GUI" - which still leaves
> stopping the X Server with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and logging in as root to
> the console - or Ctrl+Alt+F2 and logging in as root to the vconsole.

:D

I don't remember, perhaps I enabled a root account for this *buntu
install:

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ sudo systemd-nspawn -D /mnt/saucy
Spawning container saucy on /mnt/saucy. Press ^] three times within 1s
to abort execution.
root@saucy:~# id rocketmouse
uid=1000(rocketmouse) gid=1000(rocketmouse)
groups=1000(rocketmouse),4(adm),24(cdrom),27(sudo),30(dip),46(plugdev),112(lpadmin),123(sambashare)
root@saucy:~# id root
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)

However, there might always be a root account, but login, even to a
non-GUI terminal might be disabled ;).

I don't know if my saucy install has got root login enabled, but I
suspect I kept the *buntu defaults, without a root login.

Take an educated guess, IMO Tom's assumption is correct.