Re: USB WiFi adapter doesn't work with Wheezy (but does work with Ubuntu)

dclinton, 28.02.2014:

> On 14-02-28 10:16 AM, Klaus wrote:
> >That's at least what I gathered from here:
> ><https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TL-WDN4200>, though you also
> >made it working in your Ubuntu installation with kernel 3.11.
> >
> >>No. 3.12 is the latest (and, I believe, only) Yocto image available.
> >Only? Didn't you show us something with "3.8.7-yocto-standard"
> >earlier? ;-)
> I never actually thought about that numbering. Now that you mention
> it though, it seems to have nothing to do with the Linux kernel -
> Yocto itself is meant to enable embedding kernel images in
> non-mainstream hardware platforms.

I don't know much about Yocto, but www.yoctoproject.org/downloads
doesn't show anything that looks like 3.8.7.  So I think that number
must refer to the linux kernel and you should make sure you're trying
out the dongle on your Galileo when it's running the latest (3.12)
image.

There are usually two drivers for Ralink devices: one from the
manufacturer, and one from the rt2x00 project.  The driver you showed
working in Ubuntu was from the manufacturer, which is not part of the
mainline linux releases.  I think your device is also supported
by the rt2x00 project (see below) but maybe not by the kernel you're
using.  From my experience, if it were just a missing firmware issue,
you might see something more in dmesg output, trying to load the
correctly identified driver but complaining about missing firmware files.

I think the rt2x00 driver supports your dongle, based on messages on
their mailing list:

- It looks like your devices usb id got added in July 2013
  http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/pipermail/users_rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/2013-July/006283.html

- Some people report using very similar (one maybe the same?) devices
  recently (November and February), though with problems using hostapd
  http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/pipermail/users_rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/2013-November/006525.html
  http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/pipermail/users_rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/2014-February/006553.html
  http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/pipermail/users_rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/2014-February/006555.html

Anyway, you might get better help writing to the rt2x00 list, or maybe
try e-mailing the specific people who wrote the messages above what they
did to get their devices working.  (It's not a very active list.)
List info:
Archives:
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/pipermail/users_rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/

Selim