Re: SASL auth failure dovecot/postfix

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 02:17:52PM +0100, Tazman Deville wrote:
> I have two servers, both running wheezy with dovecot/postfix for mail.
> They were both sending/receiving mail fine 24 hours ago.
> Now neither is.
> On one, I've done nothing to alter anything with either postfix or
> dovecot in the last 24 hours.
> On the other, I generated a new smtpd.key and smptd.crt for postfix,
> restarted postfix and dovecot...and I thought I'd done something wrong,
> until I found that the other server is also having the same problem.
>
> On both servers, I ran aptitude updates yesterday.
> I generally update them both weekly.
> They were both sending/receiving mail fine before that.
> They seem to both receive, but not send mail now.
>
> I can only assume something from aptitude updates broke my mail servers.
> How do I diagnose and resolve this matter?
>
> taz

Incidentally, I have tried sending/receiving with both mutt and
squirrelmail on accounts for both servers.
Again, I confirm, they can receive mail fine, but no account
on either server can send mail, either with mutt or squirrelmail.
In both cases, the same error: SASL authentication failure.
In some cases, then mutt asks for the password for the smtp account.
I provide that, and it continues to fail.
I find this odd, since I have the passwords in my muttrc files,
and, as mentioned above, everything was working fine yesterday,
both sending and receiving.

taz
--
http://taz.liberame.org