Re: What happened to "use control-alt-backspace to terminate X server?"

On Mon, 2014-03-10 at 13:16 -0400, Doug wrote:
> On 03/10/2014 07:29 AM, Darac Marjal wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 09, 2014 at 10:38:35AM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> /snip/
> > Actually, SysRq+K is the Secure Attention Key (SAK). It is the
> > equivalent of Ctrl+Alt+Del in Windows. Basically, the intention is
> > that, if you walk up to a computer you have access to, but don't
> > necessarily trust, you press this key combo before logging in. You are
> > then taken to a secure state where it's safe to enter your credentials
> > - that is, you're not looking at some application that's pretending to
> > be a login window (a trojan), you are actually at a login window. On
> > Windows, this is achieved by switching to the Winlogon component. In
> > DOS, this was achieved by forcing a reboot. In Linux, this is achieved
> > by killing every application on the TTY (init will then typically
> > spawn a new getty for you).
>
> This might work in Debian, but it doesn't work in PCLOS KDE 64-bit. So
> it's not universal to Linux.

SysRq+K causes nothing for my Arch Linux, I will test it later for
Debian Linux.
Ctrl-Alt-Shift-PrtSc-k does cause nothing for my Arch Linux, I will test
it later, when running my Debian install.

JFTR, I'm a musician and have some abilities using my fingers, most
people perhaps don't have. Ctrl-Alt-Shift-PrtSc-k perhaps isn't a good
short cut. For me it's easy to do this using my fingers, I suspect that
less trained fingers doesn't like to do such a monstrosity, but it's
hard for me, quasi impossible, to remember such a "short cut".

Is this "short cut" for people with an eidetic memory + trained finger
dexterity?