Re: Wifi

Steve Litt of Troubleshooters.Com wrote, On 03/08/2014 04:27 PM:

> If I were in your shoes, the first thing I'd do is an orderly shutdown,
> power down for 30 seconds, and power back up. You might get lucky and
> have Wifi just work when it comes back up. I've seen stranger things
> happen. ...

Also, after you follow the advice of others on this list to determine
what kind of card you have, you may find that it's as simple as doing an
install.

When I first installed Debian on the laptop, the installer prompted me
for a driver for my Intel Centrino wireless card, because it noticed
that it didn't have a free driver.  Of course, I didn't have
installation medium available right then, so I just blew through it and
determined that I would install it later.

Once Debian was installed, I searched around and figured out that I
needed to do this:

1. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list, adding " non-free" to the end of every
line starting with "deb ".

2. Then:

$ sudo apt-get upgrade
$ sudo apt-get install firmware-realtek

Of course, I don't recommend that you do exactly that, because it
obviously depends on what kind of wireless card you have.  I'm just
encouraging you by showing you how simple it can be, once we figure out
what you need to use in place of "realtek" there.

-- Patrick