Re: Read-only rootfs on systemd

On Thu, 6 Mar 2014 18:35:06 +0000 (UTC)
Amit <amit.uttam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Reco <recoverym4n <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > https://wiki.debian.org/ReadonlyRoot#cups says:
> >
> > CUPS stores any kind of state files under /etc (classes.conf,
> > cupsd.conf, printers.conf subscriptions.conf) and upstream is against
> > any modification.
> >
> > Personally I worked around similar problem by moving /etc/cups
> > to /var/opt, and symlinking /var/opt/cups to /etc.
> >

> Thanks for the reply. The problem doesn't seem to be the statefiles, it
> seems to be '/etc/passwd'. I don't think I can safely move this to /var
> right?

IMO it's not safe indeed to move /etc/passwd somewhere else.

But, I've checked cups on my print-server and it does not keep
open /etc/passwd at all. And, given what cups should do, I find it
unlikely that it should behave that way.

Can you do the following, please:

1) Shutdown cups by systemd's way (systemctl blahblah …).

2) Start it by /etc/init.d/cups start.

3) Confirm with lsof whenever /etc/passwd is kept open.

4) While you're at it, invoke 'fuser /etc/passwd' to ensure that nobody
else is using it.

Reco