Re: Installing Debian debian-live-7.4-amd64

On 06/03/14 21:47, Darac Marjal wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 02:21:34PM +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> On 06/03/14 14:05, Gilles Pelletier wrote:
>>> user@debian:~$ lspci |grep net 07:00.0 Ethernet controller:
>>> Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express
>>> Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)
>
> The Realtek RTL8111/8168 is one of those network controllers for
> which there is a firmware package. I'm not sure if the device will
> work without it, but if you're experiencing issues (which you are),
> you might try providing the installer with the firmware.
> Instructions for  doing so can be found here
> <https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware#Firmware_during_the_installation>.

I've never used the Live DVD installer, but my guess is that the version
Gilles is using includes it, as he's able to access the internet (wired,
dhcp). Strange that the included debian-installer wouldn't include it -
perhaps that's not the problem, especially given the posted log.

> [cut]
>>

>>> I took a picture of Alt+F4 with my phone: there is the day and
>>> date,
<snipped - if there's a next time, save yourself the typing and just
post the pic online somewhere with a link in your email. Your efforts
were appreciated.>

> Do you have a floppy drive plugged in? If not, consider disabling it
> in the BIOS. The errors above aren't necessarily a problem, but may
> slow things down while the installer looks for a floppy disc. If you
> disable the floppy drive in the BIOS, then the installer will know
> to not even try.

Agreed.
FWIW I suspect your problem is the floppy controller, not the network
card, but that's a possible secondary issue.

NOTE: there are known bugs with the installer and floppy drives due to
the number of undocumented, and um, unusual floppy controllers.
(For search engines) workarounds are documented here:-
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/blockdev/floppy.txt
In this instance the simplest solution is to temporarily disable the
floppy controller in the BIOS.

> If you DO have a floppy drive plugged in, then these errors are
> simply the result of there not being a disk in the drive (they'd
> also appear with a bad disc, but I don't think you can really tell
> the difference with a floppy).
>
> Not necessarily a solution, but a couple of things for you to try.

Kind regards

P.S. thank Darac