Re: mounting nfs on boot -- Was: Replacing systemd

On 05/03/14 11:34, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2014 at 11:07:00AM +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:

>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Hey, maybe you can tell me why my nfs mounts don't get mounted
>>> at boot time on my computer that uses wicd to manage its
>>> wireless network interface.  The network comes up at boot time
>>> (it doesn't require a user to log in first).  Currently I stick
>>> "sleep 10s && mount -a" in /etc/rc.local in order to mount the
>>> nfs shares, but I know that shouldn't be necessary.
>>>
>>> -Rob
>>>

>> Where are those nfs shares mounted (path)?
>>
> /mnt/music /mnt/pics_and_clips
>
> and so-on.

Thanks.

I've used the /etc/rc.local  "mount -a" workaround in the past,
without the need for the sleep command.

In my cases I had the nfs mount being called from fstab, using the
"nfsvers=3" option helped when the server was Version 3 ("vers=" is a
more portable version of that option). You can also
use the "timeo=n" to set a wait period instead of sleep in
/etc/rc.local e.g. timeo=100 (time is in deciseconds). Use it in
combination with the "bg" flag and the appropriate retry value.  See man
nfs for more a useful and accurate explanation.

NOTE: I'm assuming you mean that your nfs server/s is accessed with
wireless.

I'm also assuming you've checked the logs for clues. If so you may be
able to get more information by adding the "-v" (for verbose) to the
mount call in /etc/network/ifup.d/mountnfs (WARNING - untested, thanks
for testing)
e.g.:-
# cp /etc/network/ifup.d/mountnfs{,.bak}
then edit /etc/network/ifup.d/mountnfs
and change:-
        if [ "$NETFS" ]
        then
                mount -a -t$NETFS
        fi
to:-
        if [ "$NETFS" ]
        then
                mount -va -t$NETFS
        fi
and reboot (or restart network services, after umounting the nfs
shares - don't forget to comment out your line in /etc/rc.local)

Kind regards