Replacing systemd

Hi everyone,

I just checked with my local Linux group (GoLUG), and the opinions
there are that systemd is not a particularly good thing. I also heard
from our LUG's most vociferous proponent of Daemontools that Daemontools
wouldn't be a good replacement because it has no concept of running
things in a specific order.

So let me ask you this: If I wanted to replace systemd on a future
Debian system, what would I replace it with, and how?

Note: This is a serious question about technology, not politics, so will
the multinamed screamer please stay out of this conversation?

Thanks,

SteveT