Re: Replacing systemd

On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 08:50:09PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I just checked with my local Linux group (GoLUG), and the opinions
> there are that systemd is not a particularly good thing. I also heard
> from our LUG's most vociferous proponent of Daemontools that Daemontools
> wouldn't be a good replacement because it has no concept of running
> things in a specific order.
>
> So let me ask you this: If I wanted to replace systemd on a future
> Debian system, what would I replace it with, and how?
>
> Note: This is a serious question about technology, not politics, so will
> the multinamed screamer please stay out of this conversation?

I would strongly consider a hybrid of the existing sysVinit and daemontools or
runit -- runit being a reimplementation of daemontools that
avoided the licensing issue and has a current maintainer.

sysVinit would be in charge of system boot, and runit in charge of
daemon supervision.  A few simple modifications allows
/etc/init.d/ files to control the runit processes.

Another interesting candidate is monit, which is similar in
basis to runit or daemontools, but spends more effort on trying
to monitor the results of the processes and send you alerts or
restart them on misbehavior.

-dsr-

--
https://randomstring.org/~dsr/eula.html is hereby incorporated by reference.
You can't fight for freedom by taking away rights.