Re: was Four people troll - now meandering off elsewhere

I tried disabling udev today. Mouse and keyboard didnt work in X.org after that.
This wasn't the case years ago. Another bunch of cruft required. It sucks.

--- mfidelman@meetinghouse.net wrote:

From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net>
To: Debian-User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: was Four people troll - now meandering off elsewhere
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 16:41:06 -0500

Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 03/03/14 23:28, Fred Wilson wrote:
>> On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 12:52:40 +1100
>> Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Which is fine for you, and I can understand and appreciate that, for my
>>> own personal computers my sentiments are similar. However my business
>>> purposes involve meeting SLAs so reboots once or twice a year can cost a
>>> lot of money - so in those circumstances a few minutes makes a lot of
>>> difference. Perhaps that's not something you care about - or it's just
>>> convenient to ignore until your bank/phone/stockbroker/shopping is
>>> interrupted as a result.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service-level_agreement
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_availability#Percentage_calculation
>
> When you pay for a five nines SLA, perhaps for your business web site
> hosting, or what your bank/business pays for their trading platform that
> means we must be offline a *total* of less than 5 and a half minutes *a
> year*. That's begin reboot to all services restarted. Failure to do so
> results in penalties that can *very* quickly exceed the annual support
> contract. While a great deal of effort and planning goes into shifting
> loads so that reboots don't affect production - things don't always work
> to plan, so good plans allow for that. Meaning systems must be designed
> to reboot in less than the allowed downtime - with a safety margin. If
> we can shave a few seconds off reboot time we can shave a large amount
> off the support contract price, with the possibility that those savings
> are passed on to the consumer.

Anybody who is counting on a fast reboot to maintain a 5 nines SLA is
simply nuts.
that's what redundancy and high-availability configurations are for.

Personally, I'm a lot more worried about what's going to break when we
move to Jessie and
systemd - and all those things I might have to reconfigure.  That
involves serious time,
effort, and dollars.  And that's before the things that will break
intermittently.  I still shudder
every time I think of the impact udev had on our operations, before we
got the subtleties
figure out. (Note: at the moment "we" = "me" and sleepless nights that
impact other work.)

Miles Fidelman