pbuilder

I guess I am trapped by an update that is midway through.

I was meaning to recompile hplip, and one suggestion was pbuilder.

I set up a new user to do the compiling under, and was hoping to put
the pbuilder environment in that HOME.  It took a few tries to get
pbuilder create from building everything in /var/cache.  Got passed
that.

I made my few changes to the hplip package, and tried to build it.  I
kept having sudo kill the process because of some environment
variable.  The same error message goes back 4 years (or more), I seen
numerous suggestions for changes to sudoers, and a few for command
lines, nothing changed.  Sudo killed things midway through.

Well, I still had things in /var/cache, so I altered my .pbuilderrc
file to once again point to /var/cache.  The pbuilder process went
further.  Right away, pbuilder noticed I had some dependencies missing,
and went about trying to satisfy them.  Well, my normal apt-get  has a
stack of 100 or so packages that I am holding off on upgrading (many
waiting for a necessary X upgrade).  So instead of pbuilder just
looking to upgrade half a dozen packages, it felt it needed to upgrade
all of them, not just the half dozen it needed.

Earlier, I had discovered I was missing libsnmp-dev and libdbus-1-dev
(playing with ./configure), so it would seem that something in the
debian control information for hplip is missing those 2.  Those 2 were
among the half dozen that pbuilder later wanted to update.  After
killing this runaway update I didn't want to do, I tried to manually
upgrade the half dozen or so packages that pbuilder was anxious about,
and most of them it says are fine on my system, a couple are trapped
until some cups updates come through I guess.

I can live with printing being down for a couple of days, maybe those
packages will show up, and I can try building new base.tar files that
supposedly have all the depends in them.  I guess if I unbundle the
tarball, chroot in, I should just be able to apt-get what is missing
and rebundle the tarball.

But, it would seem that whatever environment variable(s) is involved,
the bug in pbuilder was fixed for the circumstance where everything is
in /var/cache, but not if the build environment is somewhere
under /home/.

I have two other emergencies I was supposed to drop everything for, so
I am moving on to them.  If someone had more (useful) ideas on things
to try with pbuilder in /home, I can try those tomorrow or Saturday I
guess.  If people were interested in this report, wonderful.  If not,
well I got some more typing practice.

Gord