Jessie almost freezes every several minutes

I have a system with an FX6100 processor, 16G of DDR3 RAM, a 128G SSD for / and a 5-drive RAID-5 array (for /home) with lots of free space. I have 2x8G swap files that are barely used (currently 34M in each) on the SSD (I used to have them on the RAID array but got the same problem).

Every several minutes the system almost grinds to a halt. Sometimes I can only move the mouse around while other times I can switch between programs using the KDE task bar. When the system grinds to halt, the disk I/O light is on constantly. This goes on for a minute or two then the system returns to normal.

Neither top nor iotop shows any processes using any significant resources. Konsole seems to be immune and remains responsive (when I can get to it) but the other programs I have running (usually Dolphin, Kontact, Icedove and Iceweasel) freeze. The KDE taskbar sometimes becomes unresponsive as well.

Any ideas?