Re: HELP !!! confused trying to install tshark on wheezy

Please keep replies on list, so that others can help or benefit from
your experience.

On Mi, 26 feb 14, 22:54:32, Kirt Odle wrote:
> Andrei
>
> Here's what I see on my brand new Debian box with no GUI.

No GUI? You're living dangerously :)

> I've got tshark_1.8.2-5wheezy9_i386.deb on a CD in the drive ...

Just as a sidenote, apt-get will gladly install from CD-ROM if it has
been properly added as a source with apt-cdrom. However, if you have a
reasonably good connection to the internet I suggest you use that
instead.

> root@NashNxsNM3:/media/cdrom# apt-get install tshark
> Reading package lists...
> Done Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package tshark is not available, but is referred to by another package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source
>
> E: Package 'tshark' has no installation candidate
> root@NashNxsNM3:/media/cdrom#
>
> I'm so new with Debian, I don't know what this is telling me.

This means that tshark is not available in any of the package sources
apt knows about. Could you please attach the file /etc/apt/sources.list?

Kind regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)