Re: HELP !!! confused trying to install tshark on wheezy

On Mi, 26 feb 14, 21:38:50, Kirt Odle wrote:
> I am very new to Debian ( and any other linux ) and I'm trying to
> install tshark.

Cool. Please note you have been asking the same question twice on a
mailing list. Because of this I will have to assume you are not
subscribed and will explicitly CC you.

> I've downloaded tshark and have run the command ... dpkg -i
> tshark_1.8.2-5wheezy9_i386.deb
>
> This printed out a lot of errors and listed missing libraries and
> other dependencies.

This was to be expected, dpkg is a low level tool and should normally
not be used.

> However, I am very confused on how to figure out which dependency
> files I need to download for my i386 and which ones I don't need.
>
> This seems to be very labor intensive, and I'm wondering if I can
> somehow get Wheezy to automatically determine, download and install
> all the dependencies based on the version of Debian and tshark I have.

You're in luck, because Debian has some of the best package management
softwares.

> Please help if you can.  I am fairly computer literate, but not linux
> at all.  This is my first attempt.

I would suggest you look through the menus for the package manager
Synaptic. It is graphical and quite intuitive. It should be easy to
search for 'tshark', mark it for installation and proceed. Synaptic will
take care of the rest.

If you provided a root (administrator) password during the install you
will have to supply that, otherwise provide your user password (assuming
you are running as the same user created during the install).

If by any chance you don't have synaptic installed look through the
menus for 'Root Terminal', which will (after requesting for a password
as above) open a window where you can type commands. To install tshark
you only need:

    apt-get install tshark

and apt-get will do the rest (assuming your internet connection is fine
and the sources for apt-get were configured correctly during the
installation).

If you don't understand the output of some of the commands feel free to
ask here, but providing a full copy-paste of the output would be very
helpful.

Have fun,
Andrei