Re: day two question on installing packages on wheezy

On Wed, 2014-02-26 at 13:15 -0500, Jape Person wrote:
> If I assume you want to install these packages, and by "ALL of its
> dependencies" you mean hard dependencies, recommends, and suggests (or
> some subset thereof) it's probably easiest for you to use aptitude in
> its textual interface / interactive mode by just going to a root prompt
> and executing

Seemingly you and me are the only users until now, who thought about
optional dependencies too.

A note for the OP. Hard dependencies are _needed_ for a package (at
least upstream and/or the package maintainers think they are needed, but
that's not always true). Hard dependencies always will be installed
automatically, if you install by apt or aptitude, but not if you use
dpkg. Optional dependencies, aka recommended and suggested are only
needed for special options or comfort, but sometimes, e.g. for synaptic,
it's better to install those optional dependencies too, for other
packages you perhaps don't need some options or luxury comfort.

Regards,
Ralf