Re: day two question on installing packages on wheezy

On 02/26/2014 12:11 PM, Kirt Odle wrote:
Can I get someone to clearly explain to me ( a Debian newbie ) how to make aptitude download tshark and ALL of its dependencies, in a single operation ??

Download or install?

If I assume you want to install these packages, and by "ALL of its dependencies" you mean hard dependencies, recommends, and suggests (or some subset thereof) it's probably easiest for you to use aptitude in its textual interface / interactive mode by just going to a root prompt and executing

# aptitude

You can find tshark from within aptitude by hitting the "/" key to invoke the search function followed by typing in "tshark" at the prompt the search function provides. Once you have tshark highlighted, hit "+" to install it. If aptitude is in its default configuration, that will offer to install tshark and its dependencies and recommends. You can install the suggests by arrowing the line cursor down to the bottom of the provided list to the "Packages which are suggested..." line, hitting Enter, and then selecting (with "+") each of the items in that part of the list that you want to install.

Hitting "g" again will start the installation rolling.

If you have intentions other than what I've outlined, you should probably tell us a little more precisely what it is that you want to do.

thanks

Kirt Odle

HTH,
J.