Re: cron.daily logrotate beating up my server

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 07:38:24PM -0300, André Nunes Batista wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-02-24 at 13:57 +0100, Tazman Deville wrote:
> > I have a little server running here in my office,
> > and logrotate kept running at c. 7am, and using up 100% CPU.
> > I changed the line in /etc/crontab to run cron.daily scripts
> > at 4:15am, instead of 7:whateveritwas am.
> > 15 4 * * *
> > Also, in cron.daily/logrotate
> > I added
> > nice -n 15
>
> If you do not want this process to take precedence, why did you choose
> such a low niceness to other processes? Shouldn't you have chosen
> something above 10 or at least above 0?

Perhaps I misunderstand, but from reading man nice,
my understanding is that -20 is the hightest priority,
and 19 is the lowest, so I assume 15 was low priority.
I've tried to renice the process in htop now that it's running again,
and that doesn't seem to be working.

Taz
--
http://tazmandevil.info