cron.daily logrotate beating up my server

I have a little server running here in my office,
and logrotate kept running at c. 7am, and using up 100% CPU.
I changed the line in /etc/crontab to run cron.daily scripts
at 4:15am, instead of 7:whateveritwas am.
15 4 * * *
Also, in cron.daily/logrotate
I added
nice -n 15
I made these changes two days ago,
and still, yesterday and today, logrotate is running at 7:30ami-ish,
and using up almost 100% of CPU cycles.
The "server" is an old refurbed eMachines box,
3.2ghz single core celeron with 2gb ram (was my work box from 2007 to
2011), and logrotate is beating it up.

How do I get logrotate, first,
to run at a time when the server is not busy with other stuff
(I'm actively doing stuff on the server at 7am, but not at 4am, which is
why I had made that change).
and/or
limit its abuse of CPU cycles?

Why is it seemingly not honouring the changes I made to /etc/crontab
and cron.daily/logrotate?

Taz
--
http://tazmandevil.info