Re: Am I paranoid?

>> > debsums -ac -r /mnt
>> >
>> Great, thanks! I didn't know about debsums.
>> However, it does not report anything when started from the debian live
>> usb.

Hopefully you realise that should take quite a while to run, and you
correctly mounted etc for your check...

> Well, that's good. Meaning, that's simply a misuse of root, not a
> rooted host. No reinstall in necessary, probably, simple removal of:
>
> /etc/init.d/vmtoolsd
> /etc/pam.d/vmtoolsd
> /usr/bin/vmtoolsd

Looking at those files makes me think of a possible installation error:
that one or more partitions on the old install were used and mounted
"without reformatting" for the new install.

Is there a timestamp check that could be performed (install time/date
for the file, rather than the datetime that ls -l shows?