Re: Physically have install DVD set. Want ISO's from which they came.

On 21 February 2014 23:32, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> I have *NO* internet connectivity.
> I have Squeeze installed.
> I have complete DVD install set.
>
> I want to re-create the ISO files from which they came.

A month ago (http://lists.debian.org/52E270FB.7070006@cloud85.net)
in another thread we already discussed this as follows:

On 25 January 2014 00:56, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
> David wrote:
>>
>> Ordinarily, an iso file is used to prepare a filesystem image that is
>> then burnt to a dvd. But you want to go in the opposite direction.
>> Somehow you need to read the entire dvd image into an iso file. And
>> this is not necessarily simple, see for example:
>>
>> http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/coasterless.htm#_Accurately_Reading_a_CD
>> Years ago I have done this successfully with CDs. I don't know if it
>> applies to DVDs.
>
> From an initial reading, I don't see why it would not apply to a DVD.
> Careful reread and experimentation to follow.
>
>> See also:
>> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch10
>> Section 10.3 and especially 10.3.6 following "you can ... make the
>> ISO9660 image directly from the CD-ROM device as follows"
>
> I've found other portions of that work valuable in the past. Thanks for
> reminding me of it. Chapters 9 and 10 should keep me occupied. "10.3.8.
> Mounting the ISO9660 image file" implies an answer to my question.

Sometime between then and now, it seems that the debian-reference has
been edited and that information has entirely disappeared from the current
version, and so the above debian.org link is now broken. Perhaps if you have
the squeeze version, it will still contain the relevant information.

The first link I provided is still valid, and provides instructions
how to create an
iso file from cd media. Did you try this? What happens when you follow
those instructions?