Re: Debian live USB install fails to boot

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014, Tom Heuser wrote:

> Greetings all...
>
> I tried to install
> debian-live-7.4-amd64-xfce-desktop.iso<http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/debian-live-7.4-amd64-xfce-desktop.iso>onto
> a 16gb sandisk USB using both Unetbootin and Linux Live USB in Windows
> and when I try to boot it all I get is "missing operating system."
> Does anyone know why this is happening?

I had a similar situation, and in your case unetbootin didn't work.
What I finally did was just use dd. Although, I did it from a Linux
machine, not from Windows. But dd is available for Windows.

I needed to install Wheezy-LXDE (32-bit) on a Eeepc 900.  So, no CD
drive.  From another Linux machine onto which I had already downloaded
the ISO, I just dd if=<path-to-ISO> of=<flashdrive device name> (that
would be something like /dev/sdb, no partition number.  Make sure the
flash drive is unmounted.

That was all I did, and the flash drive booted right up and the install
went normally.