Re: need help on using crontab

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 08:20:50AM +0000, Dom wrote:

> From the original post, Long Wind seems to have used the original
> method of creating crontabs:
>
> crontab <name of file to use as new crontab>
>
> The usual sequence (on the old Unix systems I used to admin) was:
>
> crontab -l > mycronfile
> vi mycronfile (to edit)
> crontab mycronfile
>
> crontab -e is much easier and safer to use.

That's the information I'm trying to get from him (I think Long Wind is
male, my apologies to you if you aren't).

'crontab -e' will create a crontab as the user, but crontabs created as
a normal user shouldn't have the user field populated. 'crontab -l' will
list the contents of the crontab created by 'crontab -e', so if the
crontab was created this way (with a username), it will look fine but
when cron tries to run the job it will look for a command that is the
username with the rest of the line as arguments.

If the intention is to run a cronjob as some system user the simplest
method is to create a file in /etc/cron.d, which would require the user
field to be populated.

Cheers,
Tom

--
BOFH excuse #221:

The mainframe needs to rest.  It's getting old, you know.