Re: need help on using crontab

On 19/02/14 07:13, Tom Furie wrote:
On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 12:56:50AM -0500, Long Wind wrote:

I want to shutdown at 5:03
I check with crontab -l
it seems OK

Depending on how you created the file the format may or may not be okay.
Did you create the file in /etc/cron.d, or as a user with 'crontab -e'?
Given that you say 'crontab -l' seems okay I suspect the latter.

From the original post, Long Wind seems to have used the original method of creating crontabs:

crontab <name of file to use as new crontab>

The usual sequence (on the old Unix systems I used to admin) was:

crontab -l > mycronfile
vi mycronfile (to edit)
crontab mycronfile

crontab -e is much easier and safer to use.

--
Dom