Deb 7.4 Mouse Worked Live Not After Install

Hi all. Back trying Debian again after many years.

Am having hard time with mouse pointer in latest linuxes. After trying about 7 distros on my machine the Deb 7.4 live CD was the only one that worked. But then after installation the mouse pointer no longer responds - just sits in the middle of the screen not moving (like with many of the other distros - but at least it worked live). Something's happening because random icons and buttons highlight as I try to move the mouse around and the buttons work.

I tried firing it up in rescue mode and got the following, repeating over and over (I'm not sure which line would be the actual start of the block):

input: PixArt USB Optical Mouse as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.1/usb6/6-2/6-2:1.0/input/input<nn>
generic-usb 0003:093a:2510.000<E>: input,hidraw2: USB HID v1.11 Mouse [PixArt USB OPtical Mouse on usb-0000:00:1d.1-2/input0
usb 6-2: USB disconnect, device number <n>
usb 6-2: new low-speed USB device number <n+1> using uhci_hcd
usb 6-2: New USB device found, id Vendor=093a, id Product=2510
usb 6-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, Serial Number=0
usb 6-2: Product: USB Optical Mouse
usb 6-2: Manufacturer: PixArt

(Some of the formatting may be a little off as I copied it by hand.)
Wherever there are <> the item inside increments each time the block repeats.

Any ideas what I can do about it and why would it work perfectly in 'live' mode but not after install?

TIA.