Re: Problem with Sound Volume

On 02/19/2014 08:20 AM, Robin wrote:
On 19 February 2014 13:14, Stephen P. Molnar <s.molnar@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
I have just upgraded my Debian Jessie computer to a

AMD FX 8320, 8-core 3.5 GHz, 16.0MB Cache CPU/ASUS M5 A97 R2.0 Motherboard/8
MB RAM. I find that the sound is very faint, even with the volume set at
maximum. I am using the on-board sound:

computation@AbNormal:~$ aplay -l
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I have always struggled with sound and have no idea as to the solution to
this,to me,new problem.

Any pointers in the right direction will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.                 Life is a fuzzy set
Foundation for Chemistry                 Stochastic and Multivariate

Thanks for the replies

I am using the alsamixer, and have tried to adjust the volume with it running in a terminal and from the icon on the task bar.  Same result - very faint sound.