Re: [OT] KDM No Longer In KDE ?!?

Le 17/02/2014 19:02, yaro@marupa.net a écrit :
> On Monday, February 17, 2014 12:00:23 PM yaro@marupa.net wrote:

>>> So it seems linux is becoming a new windows, loosing features after
>>> features to be only a cvlone for the dumb people who want windows
>>> without learning anything else.
>> If you read the article, they give excellent reasons for it. KDM doesn't
>> suit the needs of KDE into the future. Instead they want to pick an
>> existing DM that will already have good Wayland support. Seems reasonable
>> to me.
>>> What can we use to keep remote dispaly whch wayland does not ahve (and
>>> no a remote desktop is NOT a remote display of a program).
>> When is the last time, realistically, you've actually used XDCMP or X
>> tunneling? Also, there's nothing stopping people from creating a compositor
>> for Wayland that is network transparent.
>>
>> The problem with X's network transparency is that it's horribly inefficient
>> (Slow even on broadband connections and takes a LOT of bandwidth for all the
>> protocols X11 uses.) and has very little use in today's Linux desktops. You
>> might not like it, but RDP/VNC are better alternatives.
>>
>> I personally just use SSH. I have no need for remote GUIs on Linux.

I have. ssh +X remote display. I use it every day, and it simply *works*

being obliged tpo launch a full remote desktop is completley
inneficient, just ebecause of the volume of useless crap it obliges to
transfer.

>>> People may choose to eat shit, the propblem is when they force it on
>>> other people.
>> Then why choose to continue eating OLD shit? X11 is an ancient, cruft-
>> encumbered pile with "features" that aren't needed at all anymore on today's
>> desktop. Even the Xorg developers want to see the day they don't work on
>> Xorg.
>> Wayland isn't being forced on anybody,

It is.
>>  but it's generally agreed by users
>> and developers alike it's a good move because it gets rid of stuff we just
>> have no use for and takes advantage of actual modern features we could
>> actually use on a Linux desktop like KMS and compositing, two features that
>> were effectively hacked in to Xorg.

KMS and compoisiting are no use for me. They could have been id theyt
had not been flawed from the begining by putting them in the client.

But I need remote display. I use it every day, and saying "is not
yuseful" will not make the need disapear. If the feature disapears it is
a REGRESSION. Nothing else

>> It's like SysV Init, it's an old, tired, pain in the ass to maintain that is
>> going to be replaced but has people who want it to stay around because
>> change is bad.

No just beacause the so called replacement DOES NOT REPLACE IT.