Re: Disk heads won't park

On Mon, 2014-02-17 at 16:46 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
For each drive
$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sd...
now and a few minutes later, then compare the RAW_VALUE for
ID#4 Start_Stop_Count and/or ID#193 Load_Cycle_Count.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.#Known_ATA_S.M.A.R.T._attributes

This will show you if a drive does spin up and down.

Some software, e.g. GVFS and KDE's equivalent to GVFS could make drives
spin up and down again and again. I'm e.g. using Xfce4 without GVFS, but
after using K3b my "Green" WD USB drive spins up and down again and
again, if I have GVFS installed this happens all the times.